Re: [ARSCLIST] voice recognition software

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Burke" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> It has been suggested that our institution purchase voice recognition
> software for the transcription of oral history interviews.  Naturally, I
am
> against this decision.  The product in question is Dragon Naturally
> Speaking but I imagine others would satisfy this person equally.
>
> as I see it...
>
> * Digital recording devices need to be "trained" before every
> session.  That means interviewees have to sit there and read the phone
book
> out loud for several minutes.  I can't imagine that going over well..
>
> * It's probably difficult for VRS to understand what to do when multiple,
> concurrent accents.  (Ex: person #1 is from Texas but #2 is from France.)
>
> * VRS probably reacts unfavorably to loud background noise.
>
> * Punctuation likely require serious editing, enough so to question why
the
> software "saves time".

Another problem is that the program/computer is supposed to be
"trained" by the person who is using it! For an interview archive,
this would mean having the interviewees located and then used to
"train" the machinery...but only for their interview. This becomes
even more complicated if the party is slightly deceased!

As far as the punctuation problem...didn't Victor Borge address
that long ago? In fact, I think it is on a 78...