From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores/ Soldier Boy Houston

Syracuse N.Y. was once a great place to find good records, too.

In the 1960's the local Salvation Army had bins overflowing with nice stuff-They handled the records with care to
prevent breakage.
 And when I was the  technician for the Rescue Mission Alliance's television repair department in the 1970's , I was
encouraged to peruse the donated 78's for whatever I wanted to take as "There was no market for 78's". Victor Program
Transcriptions, 6000 series Brunswicks, 24,000 series Victors turned up often ! And in fine shape, too.

In the 1950's 78's could be bought for 5 cents each from the Salvation Army. Spring wound phonographs for $2.00, as is ,
in good working condition. Any make , any model.

In the late 1960's , the flea market located in the Farmer's Market in Syracuse had a fellow who married a widow whose
former husband was a music teacher and record collector. After a couple of years of  buying many fine records at $2.00
each , he finally told me that I might as well as come over to his house and take whatever I wanted for $2.00 each and
save him the trouble of hauling a big box of records to the flea market each Sunday. Others had tried to gain access to
h is cellar, but I was the only one who didn't try to talk him down to a dollar or less for his records.

It was like going to heaven ! The gentleman liked 20's and 30's dance bands and personalities. There was lots of 1940's
and 50's  stuff there too.
He later sold the remains to a fellow who bought them by the foot.

I found my Timely Tunes' disc at the same flea market. The dealer had 4 or 5 of them , but I bought the one that had the
interesting  title... Oh to go back 30 years and correct my mistake !!

In the late 1960's There was an antique dealer by the name of Leon Petty who had a shop on Franklin St. here in Syracuse
that constantly had records coming in his door. Almost anything could be had for a dollar or two- from electric edison
diamond discs to wax cylinders. And in fine condition. His phonographs were beyond my allowance, though.

House sales proved better for affordable machines.

Pleasant memmories, all !

Thanks !

Bob H.

>>> sternth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/12/2005 2:52 PM >>>
In the late 60's there were a number of stores around
Richmond-Rosenburg(?), outside Houston TX which
had attics filled with ex juke box 78's.  Can't say I remember any one
in particular, and never found any great
treasures, though I guess 35 years later some of them might be
considered 'collectable'.  I do think I got a copy
of Soldier Boy Houston's recording.  Has anyone ever determined who he
was/is and located him?
Best wishes, Thomas.