Re: [ARSCLIST] message board vs. listserv

At 05:19 PM 12/12/2005, Brandon Burke wrote:

Curious as to how many list members might prefer a message board format over the standard email listserv currently in place.

Brandon,

Save all of your messages from this and any other lists in a per-list folder.

Then you can search it off-line in any way you wish. I find it takes more time to selectively delete messages than to provide the space to store them.

Currently I, like George Brock-Nannestad, am coming up on 10,000 ARSCList messages which take about 40MB. The bulk of my email archive is a bit under 4 GB including this years' attachments (which will get moved to a different archive next year).

My complete "dead" archive goes back to 1983 and contains everything I chose not to delete since then that is not media or photographs (which have their own storage pigeonholes). It is 16.4 GB and 75,000 files. I reloaded floppies, tapes, and CDs back to hard drives about a half dozen years ago or more.

My "working" directory for the whole family is currently 20.4 GB and about 23,250 files

My "info" or "topic file" directory is currently 9.5 GB and about 33,250 files

The rest of my 80% full, mirrored 1,000 GB stores is full of audio project files, photos, and some personal media. The photos and personal media about half-fill a 250 GB drive. The audio project archive is about 50GB and the work-in-process is about 200 GB. Other things that take space are the ghosts of each machine at about 115 GB and misc other backups including a second set of the archive, work, and info directories on each store.

My point is, just keep it and search. I do NOT keep client projects past an expiration date. Otherwise, I keep everything with few exceptions (I delete earlier ghosts when I update a system).

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/