Re: [ARSCLIST] Acoustic playback

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Mike Richter wrote

> Steven Smolian wrote:
> > Karl's point about playing acoustic records back through the acoustic
> > machines on which they were intend to be heard is a good one.  However,
> > there are two arguments that torpedo it.

----- the rest at the bottom of the mail.

----- I think it was in 1989 that a comment on International Re-Recording
Standards was published in the ARSC Journal. In it I proposed that the proper
format to keep was that obtained by linear replay of the original record, and
that any acoustic playback could be simulated by feeding this signal to the
tip of a stylus of the soundbox of the acoustic "console" in question.

----- as to the summing of distortions: Edison strived for a systems
approach, i.e. weaknesses in the recording were compensated by the replay.
Dayton C. Miller was a consultant to the Vocalion company, and although it is
true that the mathematical treatment of the phonograph horn developed with
Stewart and Webster from ca. 1920, Miller had made so many practical
measurements of horns, varying all possible parameters, that he was very
capable of consulting. I spoke about this at the ARSC convention in Cleveland
2004.

----- all acoustic reproduction - direct from disc or via a linear transfer
and a linear acutator as per above - will demonstrate some kind of authentic
period sound - the quality and state of preservation will indicate the social
status of the environment. However, it would not do for very much else.

----- as a further complication, if we really want period Victor sound, we
should reproduce the records at 78 rpm, although they were recorded at 76 rpm
for greater part of the acoustic period. I have documentary evidence (apart
from measurements on the records themselves) that says that this discrepancy
was intentional. Victor had found out that the records lasted longer that
way. Which to me indicates that some resonances at reproduction were not
placed where resonances were placed at recording - this would have increased
the wear.

----- the Nimbus Prima Voce was a very sad advertizing stunt, because it did
not do what they said it did. Their reproducer, using well-tuned EMG
soundboxes and the best approach to an ideal horn since Edison's walk-in
recording horn, was so linear and gentle to records that it would have
demonstrated its capabilities properly with electric recordings. However,
they chose to use acoustic records, which thereby demonstrated their full
linear distortion (transfer function full of resonances and anti-resonances).
Such records can be compensated by suitable filters, but that requires
electronic reproduction.

----- Mike, I think that you should re-load your demonstration: we can never
get enough reminding that there is a real world out there! At least I would
enjoy it.

----- just a few postings away I shall have received 10,000 postings from the
ARSClist since I joined. I shall post something about that later today,
probably.

Kind regards,

George

Mike and Steven:

> > First is that what we hear is the sum of distortion introduced not only by
> > the playback horn and chain (tapered arm, etc.) but also that of the one or
> > ones used for recording as well as the characteristics of the recording
> > device.  The latter is, mostly unknowable at this stage.  It's the old issue
> > of problems being of a different magnitude where energy changes occur rather
> > than where they are amplified.
> >
> > The other is that there was no mathematical understanding of the nature of
> > horns until the theory of matched impedance was uncovered in 1923 and
> > exploited in the design of the acoustical Orthophonic machines in 1924
> > (actual dates may vary by a year- I don't have my research data to hand.)
> > Before then, all was guesswork- an "art" which led to varying degrees of
> > subjective sonic accuracy until then, none satisfactory, to these ears.
> >
> > Steve Smolian

Mike Richter: