Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

Ahh, yes. As to George's last point, there was an old record collector's joke that went, "What is the last thing a record hears? Answer: Pu-uuuuul"

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Dear All,

most of the contributions to the thread (40!) about the location of 1950s-
1990s record shops really did concern those venerable locations. All of them
will obviously be searchable on the:

www.stanford.edu/dept/SUL/waiscool/H/MoreLists/arsclist/

If nobody objects, I would like to post the relevant ones on the Fiction and
Crime Writers' Resource Site:

http://ficriwrisource.loc

They will contribute mightily to the chances of creating atmosphere in future
detective stories, along with the bars, sleezy hotels (and lately bagel
shops) that are already featured, complete with links to Google:

www.googlesatelliteimages.com

Imagine the gumshoe flagging down a yellow cab (a Checker it was in those
days) and saying to the driver "there is a buck in it for you, if you get me
to the Spider Woman before they close". And he says, "would you settle for
Record Hunter instead?".

I treasure video footage of scenes featuring 78s, but I cry when they are
broken. On the other hand, knowing that I offer physical repair services to
the community, another side of me says "bucks coming my way". The featured
78s are frequently anachronistic: 1940s Deccas presented as acoustic records.
Possibly that is why no props man has ever contacted me to have a broken
record repaired.

Of course you have all seen the Charlie Brown cartoon where Snoopy throws a
black disc in the air, shoots, and exclaims "bull's eye every time" when it
comes back down.

Kind regards,

George

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.13.13/197 - Release Date: 12/9/2005