Re: [ARSCLIST] Archive/Archives

Archives is commonly used as the singular, but in my experience mostly by archivists. We were actually instructed to use archives as the singular in library school, referring to collections of documents, not a building. Also note that here in the US it is the National Archives and Records Administration not the National Archive and in Canada it is the Library and Archives Canada/Bibliotèque et Archives Canada. Whether or not these uses are singular or plural or refer to institutions or collections is debatable, but you rarely see archives without an "s" at the end, except maybe as a verb. Even then, archivists don't often use the verb as archiving is not a single function (sort of like doctoring or lawyering) and greater specificity is usually required when talking about "archiving" something.

David Seubert

Mike Richter wrote:

The report "Copyright Issues Relevant to Digital Preservation ..." uses the word 'archives' as a singular, typically in a phrase such as
a libary or an archives ...
That's a construction new to me and not reflected in the OED. It seems unlikely to be a typographic error, so can someone explain the distinction between 'archive' (singular) and 'archives' (singular)?

Mike