Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

The other 8th Street shop was Record Center for whom I worked in their uptown location before Discophile opened. Paul Rothschild worked there as well. The RC uptown store was at the site of the old Record Hunter on Lex between 81st and 82d. What a map!

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Friedman" <disquod@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

The result of this thread (maybe its intention, I don't know; I joined it
late) is that I have sunk into a profound funk. I keep saying to myself, "So
many shops - all gone now". When I got to New York City in 1963 to go to
college (yes, I was 3, of course), I fell across 8th Street and felt as I
had died and gone to heaven. Here were three - count 'em! - record shops on
this one block. There was Discophile, of course, the king of them all, but
there was also the Village Music Shop a bit farther west, then, on the north
side of the street was another store whose name I have forgotten. Then, on
the corner of 42nd Street and 5th Avenue were both Record Hunter and Record
Center. Of course, all up and down 4th Avenue were the used book (and
record) shops, where one could go and disappear for hours without a trace.
Between Will Lerner, Franz Jolowicz and Julian Moses, there was an entire
education to be had just walking in to their establishments.

So, tell me, are we better off now with our huge record emporia?

-Larry