Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

For the website we've been building here at USC, I
opted to use MP3s at the rate of 192 Kbps, 44.1 kHz.
This may be a bit of overkill for some oral history
recordings, but ours were a mix of those and field
recorded music.  Also, the sound files on the website
are just clips of the tapes that were digitized.  They
range anywhere from 15 seconds to two or three
minutes, so the file sizes aren't that large.

As far as restrictions go, we're just going to let
them be downloadable MP3s.  If someone wants to save
60 seconds of an old lady from South Carolina
describing how she learned quilting from her
grandmother and put it on their iPod, I doubt the RIAA
is going to hunt us down and kill us.  I wish the site
was up so I could post a link, but it's not set to
launch until early next year.

Trey Bunn
Folklife Resource Center
McKissick Museum