Re: [ARSCLIST] Score Preservation

Hi Mark

I worked at the Mississippi Department of Archives & History in Jackson for 15
months.  They have a dedicated team of paper archive workers. They will be able
to point you in the right direction regarding handling these very precious
scores.

I have seen them in action with using acid-free tissue type paper between each
layer, and storing them acid free boxes.  There is also a 'magic marker' you
can purchase which will show you immediately the acid content of the paper.  You
can contact them at www.mdah.ms.gov and Alanna Patrick is the Head of the
Department.

Good luck

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer/Sound Consultant
Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi

Quoting Mark Shakarjian <mssl72@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi All,
>       I rarely post anything, but I am always reading. I have an
> issue that has come up and I need some help from the experts out
> there. A few of you know that I had been working for a French
> composer for many years, Michel Colombier. Michel had passed away a
> year ago November 14th. Since then I've been dealing with a lot of
> the issues on what to do with the master tapes, DATs and CD's, but
> and the question of how to deal with all the hand written scores is a
> concern. Since my expertise is short on the paper preservation/
> restoration side, I've asked a few friends and composers locally to
> see if they have had any input on this. Some didn't know and some
> have said that they need to be sprayed with some sort of "art" spray
> so the pencil won't smudge and wear away. I don't know if that stuff
> is more damaging over time. Would it make a difference what type of
> paper he used (manufacturer?) and what pencil? I don't know if the
> paper is acid free. It's a yellow shade with printed staffs on it.
> What about storage conditions? I know that when I worked at The
> Eastman School of Music everything in the studios was at 68 degrees,
> 45% humidity. Does the same apply to paper scores and books? I've
> also questioned donating the scores to a University. This is
> something I need to discuss with his wife and a few close friends of
> his.
>     I appreciate any input on this. This stack of score sheets is a
> big part of his life and I don't want to see it destroyed. It seems
> rare these days to see actually see somebody hand write a score and
> make adjustments to it on stage in front of an orchestra. I feel
> blessed to have witnessed him at work.
>
> Thank you for any help,
>
> Mark Shakarjian
> http://michelcolombier.com/
>
> PS- Feel free to reply off-list

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Sound Engineer/Sound Consultant
Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi
Phone: 601-266-6514
Mobile: 601-329-6911