Re: [ARSCLIST] 5,000 cylinder recordings now online

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> Tom Fine wrote:

>> You guys are doing what I wish other large repositories of audio not
>> chained by copyright restrictions would do -- putting it out there
>> in an easily-accessible/easily-usable way. THANKS! Kudos.

> Well, if somebody can give me about 250GB of web space and help me
> digitize my entire collection (after cleaning the records), I could
> put about 40,000 78's on the net! (as MP3's...)

We're working on it, we're working on it. <smile/>

Seriously, what David Seubert, et al, have done is wonderful. It is a
shift away from the traditional archival paradigm of "preservation means
limited access" to "preservation means unlimited access."

With respect to disk space, Brewster Kahle at the Internet Archive
will *gladly* archive any and all sound recordings which are legally
unencumbered. (Recordings using post-1923 compositions is sort of an
unknown animal which needs to be resolved, however. I'm talking now
about the copyright status of the sound recordings themselves.)

And with respect to digitizing older sound recordings which are not
legally encumbered, there is always the Grey Gull group (well most of
them). Steven, how many GG (etc.) records do you have? Will you be
willing to donate or loan them for cleaning, transfer and digitization
for public online access? (which has to be done at a central site --
this includes scanning the labels themselves and placing the label
images online as well as part of building a complete GG discography.)
Anyone else here with a large collection of GG group records they may
consider donating or loaning? email me in private...

Jon Noring
Sound Preserve