Re: [ARSCLIST] [AMPEX] Loss of Lubricant and A- and B-winds

Tom Fine wrote:
 > Another idea might be to filter the squeal frequency out if it's narrow
enough and constant enough. I've never encountered this problem with
cassettes.

Be very careful about playing a squealing tape at all without lubricating it. I've actually had squeal print to tape!! This was years ago when I first encountered the problem on a VO master recorded on reused tape of unknown origin.

Since then I have encountered only a couple tapes with the problem and have used my own primitive methods to re lubricate. I've been very interested in what others have come up with.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Arvada, Colorado
www.avocadoproductions.com