Re: [ARSCLIST] SERIOUS cleaning cheap...possoble?

Hi !

For years , I used ( and still do ) a " Firm " toothbrush, sponge and
Ivory Liquid- It contains no alcohol - on shellac discs.
Labels are avoided with the brush , but receive a light pass or two
with the sponge.

The grooves are swept in a circular pattern several times, water used
is just slightly warmer that the record. If the record is REALLY
dirty,give it a good water wash first to remove severe grit.

I have found that even records which are slightly greyed from wear
improve sonically when treated this way.

Dry it with a lint free towell. Pat the labels  to remove excess water
, allow it to air dry before sleeving.

This is ONLY for shellac records. Not diamond discs, lacquers,other
media. I have used this method for over 40 years, and the records
cleaned this way are still in great condition, both visually and
sonically.

My opinion.

Best ,

Bob Hodge

>>> stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/9/2005 11:03 PM >>>
Okeh...noted a thread about cleaning records (78?) on ARSCLIST, so I'll
try
asking this...

I'm currently going through my collection to see what the heck I own,
and
what has and hasn't survived. These records have, for the most part,
stayed
in their milk boxes, usually in my basement, untouched for about 10-15
years...and then been stored again here in Oshawa. However, they have
accumulated dust (in sone cases plaster dust from a renovation) and
in some cases targeted by spraying cats. As well, they never have
been thoroughly cleaned since I owned them (and probably before?)

So, given that I have about 40,000 78's in various stages of
dirtiness, and don't have access to anything resembling a
fortune (as well as sinks and racks for mass-production
cleaning and drying of 78's!)...what is the best way to
clean them (they don't have to be surgical-quality clean)
that is compatible with my limited budget and facilities?

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/