[ARSCLIST] Wax ICS Language cylinders- playback speeds?

Sending on behalf of my colleague who can't seem to post to the list today. He's on the list, so he'll see your replies.

David Seubert
UCSB
---------

Hello ARSC folks,

I'm in the process of transferring a series of wax cylinders here at UCSB and have recently run into speed issues with language recordings. What I do know, thanks to the ARSC "cylinder issue," is that most wax language cylinders, in this case the International Language School (ICS) German recordings, play back at 90 rpm. The Italian and French cylinders are a different story, however. These cylinders are also I.C.S. releases, with the crucial difference seemingly being that they were manufactured by Columbia. (While I'm not certain that the I.C.S. German language cylinders that transfer well at 90 rpm were originally manufactured by Edison, they do seem to bear the standard Edison type-face on their rims; likewise, these mystery speed cylinders exhibit the Columbia lettering of the time.)

Unless these were some awfully low-voiced Italians, the 90 rpm speed seems far too low for the Italian language cylinders. With the Archeophone, a range between 110 and 130 rpm sounds "right." Still, does anyone have definitive speeds for I.C.S. Language cylinders manufactured by Columbia?

Thanks,

Noah Pollaczek
Audio Technician
UCSB Davidson Library, Special Collections