Re: [ARSCLIST] need audio cassette deck suggestions

David,

I would second Richard's recommendation for Nakamichi.  The
Nakamichi's have very long head life as well.  I would add the
Nakamichi CR-7A to the list of prospective cassette decks,
especially if you are doing mono work.  The CR-7A provides
manual azimuth adjust (as opposed to the Dragon's automatic).
For the most part, the Dragon is great since you don't need
to think about azimuth.  However, the Dragon needs at least
a 3kHz signal before it can track azimuth.  So in some rare
cases (usually spoken word), the CR-7A allows you to adjust
the azimuth where the Dragon might not.  But again, this is
usually a non-issue.

Since your collection is large, the more automation you have
the better.  So the Dragon's automatic azimuth adjustment can
give you maximum quality without much fuss, especially if you
are dealing primarily with musical content.  I like to have
maximum control over the transfer process, so prefer the
CR-7A for this reason alone.  Setting the azimuth on the
CR-7A is very easy - just watch your phase plot and rotate
the azimuth adjustment knob to minimize phase error.  Takes
a few seconds, that's all.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive
EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx