Re: [ARSCLIST] any Ellington discography experts in the house?

At 08:30 PM 11/7/2005, Tom Fine wrote:
http://www.depanorama.net/

does anyone know how accurate this guy's session info is? He cites several
published discographies on his home page but that doesn't necessarily mean
much.

Fortunately for you, Ellington is the single most-studied jazz artist, so there are numerous published sources and many freaks who will actually care about minutia. The two primary discographies are "Ellingtonia" by W. E. Timner and "Duke Ellington's Story On Records" by Massagli et al. It seems that these are where the website info came from. I strongly doubt that there was significant independent research done regarding the sessions (as opposed to the issues).

Was there some specific question you had? Does it perhaps relate to the late June and early October 1957 sessions at "Fine Sound Studios" because this is that tricky interim period. I own Timner and he does say "Fine Studios" for all those dates. I don't own DESOR.

Mike

mike at JazzDiscography.com
http://www.JazzDiscography.com