Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape - questions...

David Lennik:

> But there were also a number of early machines
> that used "B-Wind" tape (you could specify this
> when ordering blank tape). The first machine we
> owned, in 1950, worked this way..the machine was
> an upright, the tape ran through a groove and the
> head came down. Didn't the original German machines
> take B-Wind as well?

They did and continued to do so in Germany.

http://home.arcor.de/christoph_rose/studerundrevox/studer-a816.htm

This shows the very latest professional Studer A816 designed exclusively
for the German national radio stations.

By clicking on the left or right small pictures you get a biggger pop up
window so you can clearly see the B-wind configuration and the use of
AEG hubs instead of the American NAB spools.

http://home.arcor.de/christoph_rose/studerundrevox/telefunken.htm

Shows the German Telefunken M-15 tape recorder to the left in B wind
mode and to the right in A wind mode.

Click on each picture to expand the size.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther