Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape - questions...

Some tapes are back coated, have a dull black or dark gray side that should
face outwards, and the relatively shiny side, which may be brown, should
face in and contains the recorded information. Splicing tape should be
placed on the duller outside coating, as you have described. This would be
typical of many tapes from the 1970s and on. You did not indicate the
vintage of your tapes.

Of course, if your tapes are NOT back coated, they are wrong. You will have
to play some to see which side contains magnetic information, but I'm
willing to bet that they are back coated tapes. For so many to be stored
wrong would have required a lot of effort on someone's part to get things so
screwed up.

The bad news is that if they are as I suspect, you have a worse problem.
Many tapes from the time period described, the back coated tapes, exhibit a
problem called sticky shed syndrome. They shed, and they get sticky as they
experience chemical breakdown of the binder. That is ANOTHER HUGE problem.
The tapes should be baked in an oven - seriously - and transferred to
another more stable medium.

Joe Salerno
Video Works! Is it working for you?
PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405