[ARSCLIST] "tails-out" issues? (was re: reel-to-reel tape)

In a message dated 9/24/2005 11:51:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
davenolanaudio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I do know that the "tails out" as a preferred storage method was drummed into
my head when I was first working with 1/4" 2-track tapes 25 years ago...
****************

The recommendation on the box for video cassettes is to rewind immediately
after recording. I don't do that for my time-shifting applications since the
non-rewound cassette is my indicator that I haven't watched it, but I've noticed
that if the tape is left this way for several months, there will be problems
on playback at the beginning of the cassette.

If left tails out, the tape will take on a different "set" than it had when
recorded. This may not be important for the less critical audio tape, but it
might be worth considering for high density applications or for very long term
storage.

Mike Csontos