Re: [ARSCLIST] A Pro-Tools Question-updating to OS 9.2 from 9.1 on a G4 tower

Dear Tech Folks-

I am running a pro-tools rig( 2 888 24's) and we recently purchased an external drive so we were not saving session files
to the same drive that the application is running on. The computer is a dual processor G4 tower. After a few attempts to drag
and save the session files onto the external drive we concluded that the drive was not being recognized as it should be.

To make a hideously long story somewhat shorter, I retrieved the original box the drive came in and discovered, much to my chagrin, that the device will not operate with anything earlier than OS 9.2. I am, of course, running OS 9.1! Okay so we go to the mac.com site and download the OS 9.2 update file onto the external drive and plug it back into the firewire port on the back of the G4. However, as the engineers out there will no doubt notice at this point we are caught in an audio Catch-22- the system still
cannot recognize the external drive that now has the 9.2 updater on it cause the G4 can't find it- its still running 9.1! So we tried
to burn OS 9.2 to a CD instead and take it off the CD. However, very mysteriously this solution did not work...Now I'm puzzled.
The error prompt we get says that the install cannot be completed because the computer can't read and I quote, "the installation
tome". What on God's green earth is an "Installation Tome"(Sound Joycean and imposing in any case) and how do I get
this to work. The external drive is made by a company called Western Digital I believe...Can anyone far smarter than
moi lend a digital hand on this bit of arcane computerese? What are we doing wrong and what do we need to do to get it
to work. I have updated the OS on various macs I've owned over the years and I've never had this kind of problem or seen
this prompt. Any thoughts?

Aaron Luis Levinson
Libertad Records
Conshohocken, PA