From: Rod Stephens <mailto:savecal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: D Basson <mailto:wdbasson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reducing soundcard/circuit noise

Hello Diederick,

I think it makes sense to see if a replacement card will make a difference. If not, it would seem you have some sort of hidden incapacity, but I would bet that you'll see some sort of difference with a new card. It's an interesting case.

Rod

D Basson wrote:
Dear Rod
Thanks for the info. Yes, I did forward the frequencies to Mike. Herewith his reaction:
Assuming that those frequencies are near the centers of three peaks, no
cause seems immediately likely. If your problems exist only on one
input, the source may be in that input - for example, artifacts of the
phono preamp. The frequencies are too low to come from radiation but
they do not correlate with harmonics from the power supply or grounding.
Neither do they fit with sync signals from the monitor.

I would now check whether the noise level varies with signal strength
and with other inputs, including whether it is present with null input
and with the input you're using but with the power to that source turned
off. Finally, I would see whether I could borrow or buy inexpensively an
external digitizer. Once you locate the noise source, eliminating it is
straightforward.
Today's Sunday, so I won't find anyone at work. I will see if I could maybe get a replacement for the sound card tomorrow.
Kind regards,
Diederick

<snip>

D Basson wrote:

Dear Group members

I recently bought a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer with Windows XP. I use a Terratec DMX6Fire soundcard. When I make recordings using Adobe Audition or Wavelab, I get a buzzing noise - a problem I have never had with my previous computer. Can anyone perhaps help me solve the problem?

Kind regards,

Diederick Basson