Re: [ARSCLIST] articles against the "domesticated" phonograph

In a message dated 9/17/2005 7:08:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ksbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Does anyone know of specific articles that speak against the
phonograph as an influence in the home from early twentieth century
sources?  Ideally, it would be great to hear from the homemakers
themselves, but barring that, perhaps there are critics who argued
against the domestic phonograph?
****************

It might be worthwhile to look for parallels in the influence of radio in the
1920s.  The sources of opposition, if any, might be similar.

It seems that all "progress" in technology was favorably received in those
days. The homemakers seemed to tolerate acid batteries and wires strung around
the house to a remarkable extent.

However I am old enough to remember when TV arrived. My mother insisted that
the console set we bought have doors to hide the tube, and never accepted a
bare screen until quite late in life, when it was small enough to hide in a
closet when not in use.

Mike Csontos