Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

Don Tait wrote:

>   When I started buying blank tape for recording in 1961, I was advised to
> buy Scotch. I always did, and they all play perfectly today. I was told that
> Irish was "junk" and never used it. However, some years ago I got a collection of
> tapes made between 1956 and 1960, some made on Irish, and they play perfectly
> too. Could Irish have been better quality tape in those days than later?

Irish was excellent..maybe your dealer had been burned by Orradio. Irish eventually
became Ampex, and of course their bargain line was Shamrock (which was also good tape
till the 70s). The stuff had its own unique smell (is there anyone else out there who
can still remember what each brand of tape smelled like when it was new? Going right
back to Scotch 100.)

dl