Re: [ARSCLIST] A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

At some point in the past there was a discussion on this list about Kodak tapes and Vinegar Syndrome. I am assessing a university collection right now that has a 7-inch reel of "Eastman" brand tape with noticeable VS and also radial stress lines emanating from hub outward through the entire pack. I have come across quite a few Kodak acetate-based reels over the years and most have had a pronounced vinegar smell-- stings the eyes and nose, etc. I also have seen some incredibly loose packs-- literally sagging off the reel-- and I suspect that quite a few of those were also Kodak quarter-inch tapes.

I realize that VS shows up in a wide range of acetate-based tapes, not just Kodak, but others besides me have reported similar experiences with Kodak reels from the 1960s. I think someone from Kodak may have responded to some of the earlier postings (a discussion of what was meant by "auto-catalytic" and that other tapes in proximity could be "infected") but it was a few years ago and I haven't gone to check the list archives to investigate. Just thought I'd chime in with more anecdotal comments about finding Vinegar Syndrome (and loose pack winds) in old Kodak acetate tapes. Come to think of it, though, while the VS may be exacerbated by lack of venting, the tapes I have found have just been in regular cardboard boxes, ok, perhaps a few in plastic bags inside, I can't remember. I have long suspected that the formulation used for Kodak tapes made them highly susceptible to begin with, even if "vented."

I have been wondering if someone is keeping some kind of grid or journal noting problems or issues encountered with specific tapes? It would be great to have a handy reference for such a thing. In my travels I have come across so many strange brands of tape and wish too that there was definitive tape guide where a person could look up a brand and "model" number and see approximately it's dates of manufacture, parent company, lengths available, and other salient information that might aid in identifying and addressing preservation or playback. I can imagine a web site where photos or scans of tape boxes could be contributed by anyone to serve as a kind of visual catalog or encyclopedia of tape brands? Does such a site exist already I wonder?

Whatever. Thanks for the update and have fun with the VS reels.

Steve

Steve Green Western Folklife Center