Re: [ARSCLIST] Mitsubishi 2-track digital formats, compatibility, etc.

At 02:55 PM 9/3/2005, Steven Smolian wrote:
Eastman School had, as I recall, both formats. Someone in their lab may have had experince to fill in your blanks.

I think the two were mutually exclusive. There was a SONY format as well, and I don't know if it worked as well on either of the two Misubishis.

Hi, Steve,

Thanks! I am aware of ESM's dilemma with their X86s - in fact, I had tried for several years for ESM to get the X86s that I just got so they would have more headlife to transfer their tapes.

I have several working Sony DASH machines (also adopted by Studer, I believe, in the D820) including the late model PCM3402 which appears superior to the earlier PCM3202. I have two of each, though I think only one of each actually works. I believe that the Sony format is different from either of the Mitsubishi formats.

Does anyone know anyone at ESM now that Esther Gille has gone?

This is not sounding good for the tapes I've been asked to transfer--I told them there were many "what ifs" They did not know which format, but since it was 1982, I'm fearing the worst.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/