Re: [ARSCLIST] fan noise in yamaha rx-v740

Michael,

Don't repeat the mistake that I've seen a couple of people who didn't
know any better and replace the fan without confirming that the
replacement will move as much air - CFM- as the old one.
Troublel may be your lot otherwise !!

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

Michael Ridderbusch wrote:
> Thank you for the input.
>
> I called Yamaha and according to them, the fan is a feature found on
> their
> high end amplifiers (so ignore the online product reviews), which
makes
> me wonder,
> are fans:
>
> a) ok (meaning my amp is a lemon), or
> b) bad, or
> c) ok on some models?

Fans are good in prolonging the life of the equipment, bad in
generating
noise, adding to cost and consuming power. Properly designed, most home

gear has no need for a fan, though it requires some attention to air
flow. (Units with fans are less critical but have some vulnerability as

well.)

If the noise is bothersome, either put the amp where the noise is less

significant (tough to do with a receiver which is why most quality
high-end gear separates the tuner/preamp from the amp) or get a quieter

fan. If the design is sufficiently constrained, you may need to replace

the receiver to get a quieter fan.

So if you really have an amp not a receiver, move it. If you
can't/won't
do that, see about replacing the fan with a quieter one. I would not
blame the fan for doing its job.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx