Re: [ARSCLIST] fan noise in yamaha rx-v740

Well, I'm really confused!!! I just read a review on ZDNET of the amp and this is a quote:

"Oh, there's something the V740 doesn't have: a cooling fan. The unit instead relies on an internal finned heat sink. We like that design decision because we never got distracted by fan noise."

I just checked a few online reader reviews, and they all seem to be positive. So, if your unit is still under warrantee, I'd see if they'd replace the fan; it's hard to believe that a normal fan would produce that much noise. Most have what is called a "whisper fan" just because of the need for unblemished sound. Or, maybe return the unit due to customer dissatisfaction.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

Aaron Levinson wrote:

Dear Michael:

The reviews I read described this as a "good budget model"
receiver. The all in one nature of the receiver itself somewhat
precludes it ever truly becoming a "superlative" machine by
any standard. With an MSRP of $599 it is really a pretty good
deal for what it is. For truly critical listening I would steer away
from the receiver idea entirely and go with separate components if at all possible.

A solid-state or tube amplifier by Mark Levinson (no relation for those who care) should make you very happy indeed. The price is not similar to your Yamaha and neither is the level of performance and accuracy. For someone who has such sophisticated ears, do yourself a favor and buy something truly extraordinary. You will have this gear for the rest of your life and amortized over such a period of time it is in my estimate money very well spent.

I doubt that whoever sold you the Yamaha carries Levinson
gear or something comparable but there are always Levinson
pieces up on eBay and I bet someone on this very list may
have an audiophile grade amp they might be selling off...

Just a thought,

Aaron