----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeanette Berard"

> I'm working on a 3-record album of commercially produced records of the
One Man's Family radio show, and it has virtually no information imprinted
on the album cover or record labels. One thing I do have is matrix
numbers - which I know little about, since most of our records are
transcription discs, not commercial discs. The numbers all include SUN -
and I'm hoping that this relates to the recording company. However, none of
the books I have show this abbreviation.

> each side has two numbers etched into the surface for example:
> A-6458 (etched very lightly, hard to read)
> SUN-148 A (etched deeply)
> The shorter number is always preceeded by an A, and the SUN number is
always followed by an A.

> The album was sold in 1947, according to a fan website (which ties in, the
last radio broadcast included was from 1946).

> Can anyone tell me anything about the matrix numbers?

This may be from the "Top Ten" label...a short-lived label which issued
radio artists in the immediate postwar era...

I'll forward your question to the 78-L list...
]
Steven C. Barr