Re: [ARSCLIST] long range file storage

Mike and Damien,

Please keep us informed on what you end up doing. This could end up
being very useful to others.

David Seubert
UCSB

Casey, Michael T wrote:

The Sound Directions project is also investigating the use of
"checksums" (MD5 hash, SHA-1, for example) at Indiana University and
Harvard University. We will investigate data integrity checking both for
interim (within our archives) and long-term (mass storage)storage. We're
just getting rolling but I expect we will have data on performance,
implications for workflow, etc. next year.

www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/sounddirections/

---------- Mike Casey Coordinator of Recording Services Archives of Traditional Music Indiana University

(812) 855-8090

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Damien Moody Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 7:03 AM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] long range file storage

My department is investigating the use of checksums for the National Audio Visual Conservation Center. Checksums are a good way to validate files. Our concern here, though, is that our archive will be so large and process so much data that we may not be able to create/compare checksums on every file - perhaps only 1 to a few percent. We may just have to accept a certain amount of file corruption risk. But we'll surely continue investigating ways to ensure file integrity for extremely large archives.

Damien J. Moody
Information Technology Services
Library of Congress