Re: [ARSCLIST] "Archival" DVD-R?

on 8/9/05 8:54 AM, Jerry Hartke at jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> One key problem is that there are no standards for drives, only for media
> quality. What determines whether a drive is acceptable or not, other than
> complete loss of functionality?

That's a great point and one many persons do not consider when burning
archival discs.

At IU we make our archival concert recordings to Masterlinks. We burn a test
disc when the machine is new as a baseline, and then twice yearly test discs
on each machine to monitor the status of the burners. We see a steady
decline in burner performance, after about 18 months the E22 count begins to
spike. At about 2 years we begin to see E32s. We replace the burners before
this point. We burn a lot of discs - perhaps 500 per year on each machine,
but the important point is that burners have a limited lifespan and need to
be monitored on a regular basis.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts