[ARSCLIST] Playing Records Backward

Hey Jos...

I'm quite aware there would be the potential for damage to needles going
backward, but I'm more concerned about the tone arm and cartridge.  I
can't always transfer things to the PC and reverse them because of the
way I wish to manipulate things.  The sorts of things I wish to try will
undoubtedly horrify most, but I feel like I'd like to try some unorthodox
techniques.  For starters I've been playing with the pitch control,
adjusting it as the LP plays, almost like one of the toggle joysticks on
some keyboards that act as  a "whammy" bar.  I occasionally find a riff
or passage that I want to fiddle with and try to adjust the speed up or
down while it plays to make some sort of off kilter loop or effect.  The
other thing I'd like to try is drilling alternate holes off center and
playing a record (a 7" obviously) that way.  I've actually got several
experimental/industrial records that the artist had alternate holes
drilled into it and they do play as they were intended to do so at most
speeds (they are actually records of multiple looped grooves that go
around, but I digress).

Since I save old needles when I replace them periodically, I do have
extras.  Normally I use them to play really beat up records from thrift
stores, so I wouldn't be using a "good" needle on these experiments.  I
wouldn't likely be playing the entire record backwards (or I could use
the PC), but fiddling with short passages.  I'm willing to risk the
cantilever on one of my old trash needles, but I want to make sure that
it wouldn't likely cause damage to the tone arm or the cartridge itself.
The records are not things that are particularly rare so I'm not worried
about the damage to grooves,etc.  Several of my old Needles/Cartridges
are old Stanton DJ cartridges that were probably designed to deal with
some backwards play, but I'm interested in pushing that envelope a little
more than most DJs. I know this is the kind of thing one does in polite
record playing company, but I have had a long time interest in sound
design and I have ideas in my head from playing around a bit and would
really like to see if I can push this further without totally destroying
tone arms.  Any feedback is much appreciated.  Thanks.  Randy