Re: [ARSCLIST] Nakamichi Tape Deck Problem

It's hard to diagnose, but the problem you describe could actually be
the tape skewing and possibly damaging the tape. Beware.

It sounds as if you're losing tape-to-head contact.

I'm not familiar with the 480 but http://www.naks.com tells us it was
made 1979-1982. It is a three-motor deck with a belt drive double
capstan and a pressure pad lifter. So, it sounds to me that something
is wrong with the tape path. The two capstans/pressure rollers could
be dirty, or the pressure rollers may need replacing. The belt could
also need replacing.

The pressure pad lifter pushes the cassette's own pressure pad out of
the way, saying "I can handle tape better than you--outta my way you
silly old piece of felt!" <smile>.

So with the pressure pad out of the way, the dual capstans have to
maintain the tension across the heads for proper playback. It sounds
as if you're losing this tension and with no pressure pad to push it
back, you hear the poor results.

The inbound capstan is actually providing tension holdback for the
tape and paying it out, while the outbound capstan is pulling it
through. There is a differential (I'm not sure precisely how it's
introduced) to maintain controlled tension over the heads.

This is a two-head deck, so it is more difficult to align and it
doesn't have playback azimuth adjustment so, unless you're doing that
manually, you're not getting optimum playback. There are two machines
on eBay right now (the joys of Naks.com -- it shows you the related
products on eBay currently on each page) about in the same price
range that you paid.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard