Re: [ARSCLIST] delamination of CDs

Although delamination is a potential risk, we have never observed it on
regular discs. Our lab has tested thousands of CD's over many years,
including storage at elevated temperature and humidity levels. We did
observe it once while evaluating an experimental coating for a manufacturer.
Needless to say, that coating was never used in production.

In reality, we have seen many, many examples of poor user handling.
Scratches, smears, fingerprints, and debris are frequently present on
surfaces of discs that "mysteriously" skip or have other read problems.

Storage in paper sleeves instead of jewel cases is another problem, since
paper is abrasive and induces very fine scratches every time the disc moves
within the sleeve. Although these scratches may not be apparent, their high
density can act as a diffraction grating that distorts the beam.

It is best to focus on issues that can be controlled by the user, and not
create others that cannot be controlled and may not be real. We often see
"bad" discs that result from a poor quality writer or have been recorded at
high speeds. Recording software often creates discs having volume and file
structures that do not conform with ISO 9660. Yet archivists seem to seek a
"magic" brand of disc that will solve all problems. This does not exist, and
confidence in interchange and longevity can only be achieved through
testing.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.