Re: [ARSCLIST] labeling tape boxes, and "pancakes"

Matthew Snyder wrote:

> Another question which I just thought of: many of these reels are
> "pancakes," with no flanges. We have a few extra flanges here and there,
> but is there any preservation reason to install flanges on these reels if
> they are not going to be played in the immediate future? Almost all of
> these pancakes are in boxes which provide support at the hub, suspending
> the reel within the box, so there's no worry about that in most cases.

Pancakes hold up fine if they're supported and properly stored..they can
collapse if the tapes are shuffled around a lot and warehoused and re-packed
repeatedly. If they've spent most of their existence shelved in the same place
they should be okay. The EBU used to send its programs out in pancake form all
the time (I still have hundreds of tapes that were tossed, mostly after
erasing, because the broadcasting organization couldn't re-use them and they
weren't required to return them).

dl