Re: [ARSCLIST] declicking

I've been folllowing this thread and have an odd observation to make.

I use the Cedar declickle box, the Waves suite and Sound Forge's tools,
applied as required and to taste.

Working with lacquers, I can get almost all clicks out without hand editing
unless the disc has additional damage as well.

Working with uncoated aluminums is another matter.  Once digital declicking
s completed, there are still many clicks that require removal by hand
editing.

I can only account for this by diferences in some of the waveforms, since
there is much less "give" to some clicks on the aluminums.  Spoken word
recordings on raw aluminum are simply more time consuming to process, since
there is no music at all to mask the impulse noises.

Getting the grinding noises out are another matter.  Sometimes resizing the
stylus helps, sometimes not.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Goran Finnberg" <mastering@xxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 5:01 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

Eric Jacobs:

What combination of cartridge/tonearm/turntable
does Stefan Lindstrom use for his transfers?

I believe his main turntable is a ver rare Technics SP10 MK III at some 30 kg weight in that nearly dead black mounting base with a a few different tonearms.

And some 30 different cartridges.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.1/28 - Release Date: 6/24/2005