From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alec McLane
Sent: Fri 24 Jun 2005 20:56
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

Peter,

Thanks for the quick response to this. In fact what you suggest was the
first solution that was offered here, and it turns out the disc is HFS+, so
that wasn't the problem. Then, by asking Peak directly and browsing their
user forums I discovered that in fact AIFF, WAV, and Sound Designer file
formats were standardized as 32-bit files, so there was an acknowledged 2GB
limit to all of these (technically it should be 4GB, but there was some
question about whether one of the bits is reserved for the sign, even though
all file locations should be positive numbers - might be that -1 needed to
be reserved as a value in order to flag something). WAV64 and other files
that exceed this limit are not industry standards, so Peak doesn't support
them.

Alec