Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

> While this is enough to record, say, one side of a cassette tape, it
> may not be enough for a 10" reel at 3 3/4 ips, nor is it enough for
> those few occasions when we record from 95- or 125-min DATs.

Most DAT recoding is done at the native sampling rates/bit depth of
either 44.1/16 or 48/16.  At any of these rates you'd be well below 2GB
for 2 hours.  It seems like madness to either create preservation files
from DAT by outputting in analog and converting that analog signal back
to digital just for the sake of creating a 88.2/24 file, or doing a
digital transfer and then upping the file to 88.2/24.

It makes a lot more sense to me transfer the signal digitally at its
native sampling rate/bit depth and preserve that.  Especially if your
intention  is to preserve the substance of the original when you
preserve the content.

My 2 bits, so to speak.

Best,

andy