From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Seubert
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 2:24 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] File Storage Servers

Andy,

I don't know enough to recommend specific products, but here is
something to keep in mind. In a RAID 5 system, there are a certain
number of drives that can fail before you need to restore the system
from your tape backup (and you will have tape backup, right?).
Typically, one drive can fail before you have to restore from tape. Go
with more. Two drives can easily fail at the same time as the drives all
probably came from the same manufacturer and were made on the same date
etc. We had one 1.5TB server that was prone to failure and the IT guys
switched it so three drives had to fail before restoring from tape. It
failed anyway (and is restoring again from tape this weekend to a new
server), but it was a well-intended decision.

David Seubert
UCSB