Re: [ARSCLIST] turntable recommendations

What speeds?  33/45?  33/45/78?

Consider mounting your turntable on a wall shelf (the Target shelves
work great and don't cost an arm and a leg), with the shelf mounted
preferably an exterior wall or bearing wall that rests on the
perimeter foundation or footing.

For 33/45, a good all-around table that won't break the bank is the
Rega P3.  If you want to play 78s, consider two tables, a Rega P3
and a Rega P78.  Another good 33/45 TT are the Nottinghams - they
cost a bit more than the Regas, but they sound very nice.

One 33/45/78 combination worth considering is an older J.A. Michell
Gyro SE.  It has to be older because you need the older AC motor
which accepts the optional 33/45/78 RPM pulley.  The newer Michell's
no longer support the pulley, and the newer motors synch to 60 RPM
instead of 50 RPM (or something like that).  A potential workaround
would be to use a newer Michell Gyro SE, and add the Clearaudio
Syncro motor controller which can tweak the motor speed, but the
Clearaudio Syncro adds $1k of cost.

Aside from the older JA Michell, I've not found a 33/45/78 belt
drive table that sounds great and doesn't cost a small ransom.

I settled on a Simon Yorke S7 (33/45/78) resting on an atomic
force microscope isolator - you could operate a jack hammer next
to the turntable and nothing would get transmitted, literally.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive