Re: [ARSCLIST] First LP

Jeffrey J Martin wrote:

> Re: ML 4001 is indeed the Mendelssohn, with Nathan Milstein, although it's likely Columbia would have launched
> the LP with a
> series of 10 or 20 titles.
>
> According to the Wall Street Journal of June 21, 1948 ("New Columbia Records," p. 4), "The initial LP catalog will
> consist of 101 records, inlcuding 325 different selections."

The 1949 Columbia catalog says it includes all Masterworks releases through the July 1948 release and all Popular
records through the June 1948 release, which would pretty well cover the LP initial list. Highest 12" Masterworks
number is ML 4084 (Piano Music of Liszt: Gyorgy Sandor), highest 10" Masterworks number I can see seems to be ML 2024
(Jennie Tourel sings Offenbach), highest Popular LP looks to be CL 6019 (Christmas Songs by Frank Sinatra), and there
are 4 children's lps (JL 8001 through 8004). There are also two 12" Masterworks sets (La Boheme and Hansel & Gretel)
which probably use ML 4xxx numbers for the individual discs. This would seem to total 131 lps, but there's no
numerical listing and I don't feel like checking off every number to see if they were all used.

dl