Re: [ARSCLIST] baking tapes

David Seubert wrote:

> Why are metal reels necessary? Anything hot enough to melt plastic reels
> would be damaging the tape too. We bake tapes on plastic reels and
> U-Matic videos in the cassettes all the time with no problems.
>
> David

I was going to echo this..I've had several tapes baked without having to run
them onto metal reels, something that's a major pain to do in the first place
if the tape is too sticky to play (you have to run it OUTSIDE the head assembly
and you end up with a very uneven pack). I'd think the good Scotch and Ampex
reels can take the heat..maybe the very flimsy cheap ones might not.

dl