Re: [ARSCLIST] Testing DVDs

Could you please elaborate on your statement:

"Even if you can check a disc type media physically I think it will
be hard to check something like
Exabyte or LTO on a regular basis without tearing the media apart..."

Disregarding Exabyte drives and tapes, LTO is the largest selling
data storage tape drive in the Enterprise IT environment,
and they seem to be pretty happy with it.  Most of the media vendors
do 1,000,000+ pass testing and are eager
to share the results (Fuji is very good about sharing their
information).  I agree that RAID is a great option, but
near-line solutions should be looked at as a potential part of the
digital archive process.

Geographical separation comes to mind in this instance.

John Spencer
www.bridgemediasolutions.com