Re: [ARSCLIST] Vermin

Dr. Cheryl Thurber wrote

Boric acid will work for insects, including roaches, I
have been successful with that. Another easier and
safer approach for silverfish is silica gel. I was
told this by an extension agent many years ago when I
was moving and did not want to move the silverfish.
When I suspect silverfish I scatter some silica gel in
the bottom of the boxes before I pack them. When I put
books or records on shelves I scatter silica gel in
the corners on the shelf. Silica gel is readily
available, craft stores sell it in boxes to dry
flowers. Archives use silica gel for moisture, and
electronic equipment generally includes packets when
shipping. While I would avoid getting the powder on
the surface of the records, I have had no problems
with this. I have thousands of both records and books.
I have moved several times lately. I have not had a
problem with silverfish in over 30 years since I have
been using silica gel.

Dr. Cheryl Thurber email: cthurb@xxxxxxxxx