Re: [ARSCLIST] Vermin

I know a cylinder collector who puts the cotton lined boxes in the microwave for a few seconds- for whatever that's worth.

ds

>>> nauck@xxxxxxxxx 05/25/05 4:07 PM >>>
Hello ARSClisters

First of all, I want to thank you all for your detailed responses to my
earlier query regarding signal processing software. As expected, there was
no consensus of opinion, but it gave me much to think about!

Now I would like to ask another question.

Many of you work in archives or collections where you have a lot of paper.
So do I (books, magazines, sleeves, cylinder boxes, etc.), and I am having
a problem with silverfish and other assorted invertebrate friends. Because
I am constantly moving in new collections, I regularly introduce pests into
my building. I also have carpeting, which can harbor bugs.

What do archives do to combat this problem?
Do you spray or fog, how often do you do it, and what chemicals do you use?
Do you try to protect the top edge of sleeved records when fogging, or do
you find that the pesticide does not affect the shellac or vinyl?
Do you put any sort of repellant (like mothballs) inside boxes or cabinets?
How do you prevent new accessions from contaminating the rest of your facility?

Kurt & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, TX  77389