Re: [ARSCLIST] Computer sound card

Here is the post I recently made to the Ampex list on the same topic:

I think one of the best bangs for the buck is the RME Multiface. I don't
know if you need all the features, but perhaps a lesser RME card would also
be good. I just bought my second Multiface and now have 16 tracks of 24/96
as well as 16 tracks of ADAT (at 48/20) and two stereo SPDIFs in and out.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/multifa.htm

Steinberg/Nuendo also rebranded it -- my second one has that front panel.

Two other things to consider both "Gold" on
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm

http://www.digitalaudio.com/digitalaudio/myheadline.asp?S=75&P=5187&PubID=4401
http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces
  There are 2-3 of the Midiman interfaces on the PCAVTECH list.

There are, of course, many high-end boxes in the multi-kilobuck range. I
don't think you can go wrong with these three vendors or the Lynx.

The RME stuff is widely used and is rock stable from what I've heard. I've
heard of some people having trouble with either the CardDeluxe and/or the
Lynx. M-Audio, formerly MidiMan, is now part of Avid. I don't have their
sound cards,  but I have two discontinued products: a 12x6 digital audio
routing switcher (electronic patch bay) and a MIDI to SMPTE time code box
which also has a MIDI router in it. I haven't used the latter, but have the
former.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx