Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [88sOn78s] Exit Grooves on Shellac and Early Vinyl

  I think Dick and others are correct about the eccentric run-out grooves on
some 78s as having being intended to move the arm close enough to the center
of the record to trip the calibrated arm-retract mechanism on automatic
photographs.

  When I was a boy in the late 'forties, my family had a large
radio-phonograph combination. As much a piece of furniture as anything else. It only played
78s, of course. It was a "given" that when a record (played either
automatically or manually) got to the run-out groove, the arm would pick itself up and
swing back to the "ready" position. Getting toward the spindle was the key; I
was taught that if the arm didn't pick itself up and swing back, on a single
record played manually, I should lift it out of the run-out groove and move it
toward the record's center. The machine then did its thing.

  Don Tait