Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging: Libraries and private collectors

Karl Miller <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Re: Cataloging: Libraries and private collectors
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Matt Snyder wrote:

>As you mention, from the literature I have read, archives have different
>needs and are most often (in theory) arranged by collection...with a
>collection being centered on an individual, organization, subject, etc.
>Is having an archive do a complete MARC record for every item, at cross
>purposes with respect to the functionalism of an archive, versus a
>library? Or is it not desirable to make such generalizations?

In general, archival description dispenses completely with item-level
cataloging in favor of a finding aid which describes the collection in
detail, and occasionally at the item level. A MARC entry for such a
collection only refers to the collection as a whole and directs users to
the finding aid for more information. Applying this practice to music
materials in general and sound recordings in particular, individual scores
and sound recordings are described one by one within the finding aid. And
yes, I am speaking of archival collections which were donated by an
individual or institution, and which focus on that person or entity. The
type of archive described by Steven Barr is important, but has a slightly
different objective in that it doesn't aim to preserve the intellectual
unity of a particular collection; rather, it is closer to a library in
that it focuses on describing individual items, albeit, in many cases,
unique items. (See what I meant by the overlap?)

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project
The New York Public Library