Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging: Libraries and private collectors

ERMA has an enormous amount of work to do to harmonize its titles before
condering its serious use.

Interest has been shown in this thread by the Library of Congress and other
cataloging biggies.  It is also making its way into some of the thinking of
those revising the AACR rules. I fantasize that what gets posted here may
influence what they do.

When dividing the cataloging record into sections, the last is that relating
to the individual copy.  That section is where personal opinions would go.

The performer section should include a series of fields, one of which
indicates the relationship of any of the performers to the selection being
recorded: created role, world premiere, composer's son-in-law
(Sibelius-Jalas, for instance), composer supervised, etc.  I'd also indicate
in a Performance Notes section if a Mozart vocal selection uses
appogiaturas.  The former, if properly constructed, could be searchable and
listable, the latter just by key word.

In many cases, a field can be left open when doing the basic cataloging, to
be filled in at a later time, either by the user or from an external source.
As this thread progresses, fields should be divided into which require input
to establish the basic entry and which are optional.  In addition the former
should be split into those for which an authority file must be (created and)
consulted and those which are ok to enter in a less structured way.

Since the composer relationships seriously affect record value, it can be of
great use to private collectors who, as a rule, are more concerned with the
dollar value of their records than are instituitions.

For reissues, I would definitely include who did the transfer work.  I will
often upgrade from one CD to another,based on this information.

As to including reviews, it may be possible to refer and link to them.  I
wouldn't include them here.

Steve Smolian