Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging sound recordings

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Thom Pease wrote:

> Another important note to make about the perceived
> "duplicate information" entered: it's going to happen
> in any standard we use, whether it's library
> cataloging or metadata creation.  Why?  Because
> certain fields like 0xx and the fixed fields are meant
> to be machine-interpretable, much like certain
> metadata tags.

So why do we not have a cataloger interface which makes the rekeying of
the information unnecessary?

> As has been noted earlier, catalogers have been
> entering much valuable and deep data about recordings
> for many years, but many of our systems aren't
> adequate to display them or make them useful for
> searching or browsing.  But then maybe a simplified
> display with less information is what your individual
> library or archives' patrons want.  Everyone has
> different needs for their local systems.

Yes, but while the format may allow for the entry of all of the desired
(by all concerned) information, I have yet to encounter a record that
cannot be upgraded with either additional data or one that is in need of
correction...not just an upgrade in level or from AACR 1 to 2.

Karl