Re: [ARSCLIST] Looking for a paper

At 02:54 PM 5/8/2005, Don Cox wrote:
On 08/05/05, Don Cox wrote:
> Does anyone have access to a library that contains proceedings/journal
> of the AIEE for 1925?
>
> I am trying to get hold of a copy of the classic reference on
> moving-coil loudspeakers, and all the information I have is
>
> Rice and Kellogg, "Design of a Hornless Loudspeaker", AIEE Sept 1925
>
> Page numbers, for instance, would help. And is it a "Journal" or
> "Proceedings" or "Transactions"? I presume AIEE is American Institute
> of Electrical Engineers.

OK, I found the page numbers:

Rice, Chester W. and Edward W. Kellogg, "Notes on the Development of a New Type of Hornless Loudspeaker," Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers 44, 1925, p. 461-475

Stanford University Libraries might have this, but I asked Jay McKnight about this and he replied to me:

Well, it turned out to be easy: it's reprinted in the AES Journal!

Notes on the Development of a New Type of Hornless Loudspeaker 1973320 bytes (CD aes4)
Author(s): Rice, Chester W.; Kellogg, Edward W.
Publication: Volume 30 Number 7/8 pp. 512·521; June 1982
AES Electronic Library: jrnl7888 1982 7867.pdf

He can find it at http://www.aes.org/journal/search.cfm , by entering
"kellogg" in the "author" box. If he's an AES member, he can buy it
for 5 $; non-member is 20 $.

The acknowledgement footnote there says "* Abridgment of paper
presented at the Spring Convention of the A. I. E. E., St. Louis,
April 13-17, 1925. Reprinted with permission from the Journal of the
American lnstitute of ElectricalEngineers, vol. 44, pp. 982-991
(1925 Sept.). © 1925 by the American Institute of Electrical
Engineers, Inc.

I can't tell who did the abridgement, or when, but I think the
original paper was abridged to produce the AIEE paper, which the AES
reproduced complete; and the page numbers don't match those that Cox
got. But surely this must be the paper he wants.

Jay is an all-around wonderful person, ex Ampex and owns Magnetic Reference Lab, the maker of the reference test tapes we all use.

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/