Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration Software

on 4/28/05 12:18 PM US/Central, Jon Noring at jon@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Brandon Burke wrote:
>
>> Forgive me if this comes across as snippy, because I really don't mean it
>> that way, but I could have sworn that Kurt's question was about software
>> programs and "not outboard modules".  I take this to mean a simple set of
>> plug-ins that one can incorporate into his/her current DAW, not an
>> altogether different machine -- and a $30,000+ machine at that.
>
> Yes, rereading Kurt's request, he is simply looking for *software* to
> restore vintage (mostly 78 rpm) recordings. We can also assume he
> means Windows-based, although Mac is probably also acceptable. He
> explicitly said no add-on hardware.

I re-read the original post several times before responding. I really
couldn't tell if Kurt was interested in buying plugins, since he said he was
interested in software programs.

Both CEDAR Cambridge and Sonic Solutions NoNOISE are relatively expensive,
and perhaps the question should have been "What's the best way to remove
clicks and pops/hum and buzz/hiss for under <insert value here> with my
current setup?"

In the past, out of necessity, software plugins were optimized to do their
task with minimum processing overhead. Increasingly, software plugins have
become more effective as CPUs become faster and better.

Most serious noise reduction software is based on modular software
components. These software components are researched, developed and marketed
as separate software features which target the needs of different markets.

There is no way with current technology that one software program will deal
effectively with debuzzing, declicking, broadband noise, phasing problems,
motor whines, etc. without acquiring the particular option designed for that
particular problem.

CEDAR Cambridge is almost totally software based except for the time code
automation device which contains software copy protection for the PC on
which it is installed.

On the other hand, Sonic Solutions is based on proprietary hardware, and is
a high end digital audio workstation with extra cost restoration options.

The subject of restoration software is vast, and includes areas which are
not necessarily of interest here. There is an area of audio restoration
where intelligibility is far more important than listenability, for example.

I felt the original question was a bit broad, and my purpose in answering as
I did was to bring it into better focus.

Parker Dinkins

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation